Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Yummy Scrummy


Almost everyone at my fantabulous granny panty party complimented the chef on his creations.  After getting multiple requests for the recipes, I decided I should share his secrets.  The first two recipes were stolen and tweaked from Bobby Flay’s Boy Gets Grill, and the third was stolen from Kathleen Johnson, my favorite mother-in-law.  I apologize for not having any pictures.  I didn’t know I was going to post this, and I don’t want to wait until the next time we make these things.
First, our main course is one of the reasons I’m having such a hard time making the jump to being a vegetarian.  I LOVE BACON.  On my worst days, bacon makes everything better.  I could eat it at every meal, and on all those lonely nights when Scott is flying around the world, I’m tempted to create a life-size bacon man to lie in bed beside me.  I’m serious. I like it that much.
Bacon and Corn Quesadillas
16 thick slices bacon 3 ears corn, husked
canola oil salt and pepper
12 6-inch flour tortillas 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup grated cheddar cheese 2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tsp ancho chile powder cilantro leaves
Grill the bacon on a medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side.  Cool bacon, then crumble or coarsely chop.  Brush corn with oil and season with salt and pepper.  Grill until lightly charred about 8 minutes then cut off cob.  Combine corn, cheeses, onions, and cilantro.  Make 4 quesadillas (double-decker style with three tortillas and two layers of mixture in each quesadilla).  Brush the tops of the quesadillas with oil and sprinkle with ancho chile powder.  Carefully place them oiled side down on the grill and grill for 2 minutes.  Flip and grill for 1-2 more minutes until cheese is melted and tortillas are crisp.  Cut into quarters and serve.

* * *

I have to keep it real here and admit that I’m a potato racist.  I don’t have time for yellow or white potatoes.  If I’m eating it, it’s red potatoes only.  Other than that, the truth about this next recipe is that there’s nothing special about the potatoes.  It’s all about the dressing (which is good enough to drink as a cocktail).
Grilled Potatoes with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
16 small new red potatoes 1/4 c. red wine vinegar mixed with 2 tsp honey
2 tsp. Dijon mustard 1/2 c. olive oil, plus extra for brushing
1/2 c. crumbled blue cheese salt and pepper
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Boil potatoes until just cooked through but not soft, 10-20 minutes depending on size. Test by piercing; when skewer meets resistance but can slide all the way through, drain potatoes.  Whisk vinegar, honey, mustard, olive oil, blue cheese, and scallions together and refrigerate until ready to use.  Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices, brush both sides with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Grill about 5 minutes until browned on both sides.  Serve potatoes with dressing drizzled over top.

* * *

I don’t like traditional cole slaw at all, but this cabbage salad is pretty fantastic.  A little sweet.  A little crunchy.  When I was pregnant with Ben, I ate an entire batch (enough to feed four people) and didn’t feel bad about it.  In fact, I’d do it again if given the chance.
Crunchy Cabbage Salad
5 c. shredded cabbage (or one bag) 2 T. sugar
4 green onions 3 T. white vinegar
2 T. sesame seeds 1/3-1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. slivered almonds 1/2 tsp. pepper
1 pkg. chicken flavored ramen
Combine sesame seeds, slivered almonds, and crushed ramen noodles.  Toast on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about five minutes.  Combine ramen flavor packet, sugar, white vinegar, oil and pepper to make dressing.  Chill until ready to use.  Combine salad ingredients, dressing and dry ingredients.  Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to have your slaw recipe!! I cannot stand mayo, and I had this version of slaw in a previous life, then broke up that boyfriend and never got the recipe from his mom. Thank you!! (Oh - and we'll be doing the bacon quesadillas for sure too - YUM!!)

    ReplyDelete