Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Kidding Around

I love my children.  I mean, it borders on obsession sometimes, and I’m totally okay with that because when I made the decision to have them, I knew that they would be my world for the rest of my life.  So far, they’ve lived up to the hype.
Generally speaking, I also enjoy other people’s children.  (This does not include the eight-year-old who is jumping from chair to chair next to me as I type this in Starbucks, while her mother stares despondently out the window.  I could do without her in my life right now.  No, I do not want to buy your silly band for three bucks.)  There are several friends of mine who have brilliant little offspring that say quirky things and melt my heart with their sweetness on a regular basis.  
Will’s very first friend (VFF, an important relationship in everyone’s life) is a redhead who loves pirates and numbers and built a house for ants in her backyard.  This is fantastic to me.  Will has another girl friend whose attire always includes layers and layers of clashing patterns and fabrics.  I admire her confidence and individuality.  One of Will’s other friends has a cute little pixie hair cut and giant brown eyes.  She can not control the volume of her voice and is always, always, always excited.  (This humors me most when she thinks of something she MUST say in the middle of church.)

(Photo by Carlin Fisher Photography)
I would rather spend a day with those four children than most adults I know because the things they think and say are far more interesting and inspiring than 99% of what comes out of my adult friends’ mouths.  They are self-assured, positively hopeful, and unabashed in their love for life.  Unfortunately, the only child-like qualities I’ve had over the last few months are that I cry over stupid things and pout.  A lot.  (I’ve also had issues with peeing my pants, but that’s a whole other story.)  
So, here’s another goal: pick up these more admirable qualities from the children around me.  In order to accomplish this goal, I’m going to start by running barefoot in the backyard and eating more popsicles.  And swinging--there will be lots of swinging.  You know, to get myself in the right mindset.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! "I cry over stupid things and pout." Love it. And really want to know about the pants peeing, but am pretty sure we're not tight enough for me to ask. Yet.

    http://operatingonrandom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete